I received this notice in my inbox this morning, which was odd because I had already been “accepted” (at least organically) to Google’s Authorship program as I saw it on search results.
But hey, what do I know?
If you remember in my series about Standard 3 and the native SEO features, this is something that comes baked right into the theme – in fact, you won’t ever have to actually “sign up” for anything if you use Standard. Pretty sweet, right? It’ll just happen naturally as it links your content with your Google+ profile automagically!
The code is right here:
Now, this is a consequence of using the Standard SEO features and not some janky SEO plugin that might mess things up. I review a number of SEO plugins here, so take a look at what I’ve my thoughts on WordPress SEO Plugins.
Why do something like this? That’s easy to answer as there’s a lot of good stuff to happen to your blog:
- See analytics for your content in search.
- Distinguish and validate your content in search results.
- Get more followers on Google+.
- Help readers discover your other content on the web.
- Help users find high quality content on the web.
- Empower them to engage with content authors through Google+.
So, get it done! Make sure you’re using a WordPress theme that naturally syncs up with the best practices of most of your users (and future readers) searching habits.