It has been nearly a week and a half since I first booted up my new Macbook Air and I have run this system to the limits, both in terms of processing power as well as my rigorous use and unique time-tested workflow.
And the results are definitely in: I believe the new Macbook Air to be the best portable blogging laptop and system that’s ever been created.
Here are my 10 reasons why:
- It’s fast and handles applications like Adobe Photoshop with ease. This was one of the more surprising results and it passed with flying colors. Most of the real design work for a blogger isn’t managing huge files with thousands of layers anyway. Also handles my software development needs too. I can run my business just fine.
- Upgrading the memory to 4GB is a must, and with this extra boost of memory I’ve been able to manage my workflow with ease. Multiple apps open? Not a problem, and don’t see that I’ll ever have one with my workflow.
- Screen size was fine and I had plenty of real estate to manage apps, drafting, and whatever else I needed. 1440 x 900 is plenty.
- Super light. I still am surprised when I pick it up. Portable? Yes. Ultra portable? Yes.
- Full QWERTY keyboard is amazing the response and touch is perfect. The glass touchpad makes me smile.
- Battery life is just as advertised, maybe even more so. I love heading to Starbucks feeling great that I can spend my day there on one charge without taking my power cord. Total win. I’ve got a few apps that help manage my power consumption as well so that’s extended the life even more.
- I’ve been experiencing SSD Hard drive technology for a while and this seems just as responsive and quick as my Macbook Pro. Once you go SSD you can’t go back.
- Handles video capture via Facetime camera just great and Skype calls/interviews are crisp and without jumpiness. The NVIDIA 320M Graphics card is flying.
- The display is pretty and very clear. I haven’t had any issues with varying sunlight or glare as I travel and blog in different locations. Love this.
- It just makes “sense.” This, of course, is the most superficial justification of the bunch but when I talk to people about my profession and what I do and when they ask what I use and I tell them the MBAir they just nod and agree – they even might say plainly “Yeah, that makes sense.” The machine is powerful enough to handle all of a Professional Blogger’s core needs, lightweight enough to carry anywhere to any conference or environment, and it just looks “Pro.”
I do have the newer version with an i7 processor. Check it out here.
For full disclosure and a bit of context, here are my specs:
- 13″ Macbook Air
- 4 GB RAM
- 256GB Flash Storage
Now, the thing is definitely not perfect! For example, I have found this to be categorically impossible to do:
It is impossible to hold the system just like the picture without breaking your hand. I’ve tried. I have had other people try. It can’t be done I tell you!
Marketing, it works!