We’re sporting the new look… and as you can see it’s drastically slimmed down. Some things of note for this new 2009 rev:
- Big content areas. The main content area is 710 pixels wide.
- A focus on simplicity. I want this year to be more about content and less about the “cool” gadgets, widgets, and gizmos that lump up the page.
- Typography. Period. Make it pretty. Check.
- 1 sidebar. I now have a rigorous checklist for items that are going to make it on that puppy…
- Advertising. I no longer swing the big Fortune 50 executive gig. My servers cost a butt load. My fault, I know. I’m not going more than a 125×125 piece. And the unobtrusive nature of the sidebar will make those 125’s stand out but not get in the way.
- Plugins have decreased by 50%. I had nearly 20 of them running. I now have less than 10.
- Page size has decreased, page load has quickened, and caching has been double checked. I bet @lightvox could make it even faster. Jerk.
- Pagination. If you have more than 50 posts, you should highly consider pagination of your posts. The “next post” / “previous post” is ghetto and ineffective. When was the last time you actually browsed that way?
- A deep review of content focus and areas of blogging. This has a lot to do with where I’m headed in the blogosphere and what I want to do with my life.
Deepest thanks and support for everyone who’s graced this blog… you guys are my rock and encourage me to to simply be “better”.