Advice and counsel (and perspective) that no one really wants to hear (and I’m not entirely sure how this list came together):
- To get what you want you have to work extremely hard for it and most are unwilling to do that. Be different so you can experience different results than everyone else.
- It always takes longer than you anticipate, so, plan for it to take a long time. Multiplying any reasonable and logical guess by 3 or 5 or even 10 times.
- Your health (mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual) will ultimately limit your progress and even success. Your overall health is more fundamentally tied to your ability to succeed than anyone really wants to admit. We oftentimes realize this too late.
- Relationships are the most important part of your life but they will equally frustrate you and be the hardest thing you’ll ever have to work on. You’ll feel like quitting them much more than keeping them.
- There is no real work-life balance. This equation was never possible as life is not binary, more shades of gray and a never-ceasing sliding scale.
Hard, but important, medicine.