I’ve been asked more than a few times what my strategy is for the many personal branding / landing pages that I’ve created and here’s what it ultimately boils down to: It is my job and responsibility to steward and manage my online identity and brand as best as I possibly can, despite the fact that I have little to no control over it.
Confused? A bit contradictory? Perhaps. But here’s what I mean:
- You have an online brand whether you like it or not. Sorry – there’s no way around this.
- Either you participate in the development and curation of your personal brand or the internet will do it for you. 99 out of 100 times the internet gets it wrong.
- People will literally say anything they want about you, regardless of their level of intelligence or ignorance. Give both the luminaries of thought and bottom-feeders the correct information to talk about.
- Your job is to simply provide the right framework of thinking about who you are, what you do, and what you stand for. The rest is just good old fashioned luck.
You see, a personal landing page (or personal branding page) can help provide the much-needed (and super-valuable) context for people’s thoughts (and imaginations) about who you are and your brand.
3 Strategic Reasons You Need One:
I could probably spend 1,000 words (or more) explaining in-depth the reasons you want to create a personal landing page for yourself but here are some of the most powerful justifications that are hard to deny:
- It’s the closest you’ll ever come to controlling your online brand. It’s also the most that you can possibly do to help direct people in the right direction. You can literally tell the internet world who you are in the most succinct, most accurate, and most definitive way possible. Why would you give that opportunity up?
- Two properties are better than one. You’ll get a lot of great SEO around your personal branding page and you’ll be able to funnel traffic to your blog directly. More SEO equals more traffic as well and that’s a good thing. Your blog can only communicate so much instantaneously and at first pass but your landing page will hit the bulls-eye within seconds (or it should).
- It’s a straight-up differentiates you right out of the gate! In other words, by having a personal landing page it sets you apart as unique and as showcases implicitly that you care about your online persona, your online brand, and how you communicate what matters to your community. If there are 100,000 new blogs created every minute then be the 1 that also has a personal branding page.
And I could go on, but that should do for now.
More Than Just Words:
Finally, don’t forget that your brand is much more than just words on a blog and a website – it’s also the emotional connection that you have with your community and visitors and the emotions that your sites, content, and persona elicit when they think about you.
These emotions, by and large, you simply can’t control at all!
But, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t attempt to direct them in the right direction!
Free Template to Download and Use:
I just put the finishing touches on version 4 of a personal branding page and I thought it would be swell to simply give this one away for the community here to use for their own needs.
Since the rest of my landing pages were very visual in terms of varying elements and had all these icons all over the place I decided to take a more copy-heavy focus and build it more in the form of a narrative – it’s like I wrote out literally a conversation I had with someone recently about what I did as a “job” and being a so-called “entrepreneur.”
So the conversation ended up finding a place and a home on version 4!
How to Install, Use:
It’s actually pretty simple since it’s just a few files:
- Just upload all the contents in this folder via FTP to your hosting provider/server.
- Swap out all text in the index.html file.
- Change out the “john.jpeg” image with your own image.
- Swap out the “favicon.ico” with your own favicon.
- Style it via CSS with the “johnthe.css” file.
- Sit back, relax, and be awesome.
You are free to edit, change, and pretty much do anything you want with it! 100% open source.
- Download Here!
- Download Here!
I’d love to see what you guys do with it! Feel free to customize it then shoot me a link and I’ll include it here on this post as examples!
I’ve since consolidated all of my branding pages into one and have given them away for free! Download them here! The following below still holds true – I enjoy experimenting and messing with stuff, but I certainly don’t mind the financial savings for top-level domain purchases…!
Ah. Finally, someone inevitably asks why I have more than just one. Here are my reasons:
- Because I can.
- Because I get bored and have to do something with myself other than write thousands of words a day.
- I like to experiment. A lot.
- The more the merrier.
- It gives people “options” when mentioning me via blogs, twitter, and the like. Some are more memorable than others in terms of naming conventions and top-level country domains.
- I apparently like to spend money on those expensive top-level country domains.
- Because I can.
There you go!