For those that have known me for some time know the significance of the particular WordPress Theme that I use – Standard Theme isn’t just another WordPress Theme, it’s a product that my startup company, 8BIT, has been working on solid for a few years!
It’s been an honor and pleasure to work with those guys as we’re building more than just a product, we’re building a business with a company culture that’s second to none.
One of the greatest opportunities that I have, though, is to leverage the product for my blog here (and a few other blogs – yes, I have more than one) as an example use case of what can be achieved with a solid publishing platform and that I get to “dogfood” on a daily basis.
What is “dogfooding?” For those unaware, this is what that somewhat odd term means:
Eating your own dog food, also called dogfooding, is a slang term used to define a scenario in which a company (usually, a software company) uses its own product to demonstrate the quality and capabilities of the product.
I think that there’s no greater testimony than the actual staff of a software company using the actual products that they build. Unfortunately this isn’t always the case – odd, right?
You would think companies (especially like ours) would have their staff using the products that they build, right? Now sure, of course not all software companies have applications that are usable by the staff but I am extremely proud that all of our team blogs and publishes using the product that we have collectively built.
So that’s what we do.
Standard Theme v3.0 Release This Friday!!!
There is also some huge news this week as we’re releasing version 3.0 to the general public this friday. I announced it on our company blog this morning and I know that a number of you have been patiently waiting for months – yes, months!
It might have been a long time coming for you but trust me when I say that it’s been just as long for us!
We’ve been releasing our major versions on a quarterly basis, as any good software company should (or at least have a scheduled release date and cycle) and so here we are, coming this friday!
Now, for those that aren’t using Standard Theme… what are you waiting for? I’ve been using it since I first created it and it’s helped thousands of people reach their online publishing goals (and then some). It’s been an incredible joy for me to see emails weekly about success stories of how they’ve used it and how their traffic and engagement have gone up!
As a natural consequence a number of you guys have started earning small incomes and seen incremental shifts in the positive direction! This, of course, is also equally if not more satisfying as some of you are looking to take your blogs to the next level in this way.
Of course, no WordPress Theme can actually guarantee that you’ll make more money or get more traffic to your blog as you’ll continue to need good writing and blog posts to achieve that but it does provide the opportunity for the best platform and start that you’ll have (or that you’ll upgrade to).
My company believes in our product and we use it every single day. In fact, even if we didn’t sell it we’d still be using it – that’s the purest form of dogfooding you’ve got!
I’m extremely excited about this release and I cannot wait for you to get it in your hot little hands!
If I have any final suggestions it would definitely be these five things:
- Nothing can replace good and consistent publishing. No WordPress Theme has that capacity. Learn to become an incredible writer and let the technology on the back-end be handled by pros! You don’t have to use the theme that my team has created, just make sure you have one that’s not going to wreck you long-term!
- Get a Support License if you do buy a Theme – the community and support is essential to your success! We have an incredible staff and community behind our product and it’s what really “makes” the thing come alive! Also, there are neat perks for those involved in our community and we’re developing even better ones!
- Make sure there’s an affiliate program for the Theme that you use! This way you can talk about it and make a few (or more than a few dollars) with your Theme! Many users make their investment back within the first few months. Some make literal thousands on it. Incredible! Standard Theme offers 50%…! That’s really rare.
- There’s no better time than now to get a premium WordPress Theme. Start publishing on something that’ll last you a long, long, time.
- Make sure you get to know the founder’s of the company. I personally think this matters a lot, if it’s possible at all. Get to know the people behind the software and you’ll see some significant differences in how they approach not just software but customer relationships. That’s why I blog and continue to engage with the community here – if you trust me then you can trust Standard and my team.
I love what I do and my team that I get to work with. As a natural consequence I love my product and I’ll continue to use it as long as I’m publishing.
Oh, and by the way, I’ll be porting over to the new version this weekend so you guys can see it live. I’m so excited! Like you, I’ve been waiting as well!
Patience is a virtue…