“Our daughters are allowed to be human beings, and our sons are taught to be robotic,” he said. “Teach him that he has a full range of emotions, to stop and say, ‘I’m not angry; I’m scared, or my feelings are hurt, or I need help.’”
How is one to raise a feminist son?
- Let him cry.
- Give him role models.
- Let him be himself.
- Teach him to take care of himself.
- Teach him to take care of others.
- Share the work.
- Encourage friendships with girls.
- Teach “no means no”.
- Speak up when others are intolerant.
- Never use “girl’ as an insult.
- Read a lot, including about girls and women.
- Celebrate boyhood.
So roughhouse, crack jokes, watch sports, climb trees, build campfires. Teach boys to show strength — the strength to acknowledge their emotions. Teach them to provide for their families — by caring for them. Show them how to be tough — tough enough to stand up to intolerance. Give them confidence — to pursue whatever they’re passionate about.
Also published on Medium.