How does an entrepreneur own their vision for the company? How does an entrepreneur work towards the realization of a company vision? How do they communicate this need to employees?
Here’s my answer:
I think they…
- Decide on who they want the organization to be.
- They share that vision with their friends, peers, family, and naturally their staff, cofounders, and investors.
- They protect it.
How do they protect it?
- They repeat it… often: http://john.do/repeat-vision/
- They invite others to engender it and own it.
- They defend it when times get tough.
How do they defend it?
- They have strong value statements, based on actions, not just words: https://blog.trytomo.com/organizational-values-should-evolve-change-as-the-organization-scales-grows-629f87cf8463
- When faced with situations where they may compromise those values, they make the right decision, even when it’s really, really hard.
- They continue aim to be a leader with integrity.
- They get help from mentors, coaches, and friends.
- They understand that good defense includes a decent offense.
What is a decent offense?
- They share it… often… and loop back to the first step…
- Which means they review their vision, just as they review their values.
- They diagnose whether it is still true (or not).
- The are courageous in their decisions, resolute in their actions.
- They hire great people who also believe in the vision.
How does one hire great people?
- A strong organization with a strong leader with a clear vision / mission and healthy, practiced values will naturally attract like-minded folks.
- Understand that great hires beget great hires.
- Rinse and repeat.
Have a ton of fun.