The perfect job is less about the job, itself, and more about your ability to control and manage your most precious resource, which is time:
… it’s hard to put a price on the ability to be in control of your own time and avoid doing things you don’t want to do on the job.
Yup, couldn’t agree more. Ben goes on:
Here’s a short list of things I value in terms of my career:
- Working with good people that I respect and get along with.
- Helping others (both clients and colleagues).
- Aligning my work with my personal value system and principles.
- Staying away from products or services I don’t believe in or wouldn’t personally recommend to others.
- Working on projects I’m interested in.
- Working with the right clients and avoiding the wrong ones.
- Doing work that keeps me engaged.
- Continuing the learning process on the never-ending path to self-improvement.
- Keeping stress levels to a minimum.
- Avoiding micro-managers.
Yup. Yup. Yup.