My team is currently spending a bit of time filling out these
Personal User Manuals and the exercise has been illuminating, to say the least.
I had a few thoughts on a recent vlog about this as well:
You can review my own here as well as get the template below:
What I loved about this exercise is that it really made me think about my own behavior and how this impacts other people. I also was surprised (but shouldn’t have been) at how much time this took to thoughtfully answer the questions!
I hope you can find time to create your own
Personal User Manual and then have the courage to share it with your team!
Feel free to send me a copy of yours and give me feedback on mine!
I spent a little time updating it… here’s the full text:
Here are a few things that you might find helpful to understand about me! Last updated:
- Stories: I love hearing, seeing, and experiencing stories. I love being transported to new worlds through narrative.
- Learning: I love learning new things; I’m especially curious about the intersection of dissimilar and unrelated things.
- Entertainment: I love to be entertained and I particularly love old(er) video games and movies. I do love the ’80’s.
- Agency: I value the freedom to choose my own path and to invest my time and resources in the things that matter the most to me.
- Changing One’s Mind: One of my favorite mantras is “strong opinions, weakly held”.
- Saying Sorry: Being able to say “sorry” is a superpower.
- Health: I’m very vocal about creating a healthy environment for myself and for those that I work with and I’m an advocate for making these topics less taboo.
- Bullshit: You win me over when you’re frank, direct, and full of candor. Say what you mean.
- Indecision: Speed of decision making is an
operating virtuein my startup.
- Do What You Say: Fastest way to build trust is to do what you say; you know, integrity.
- Give it to me Straight, Be Direct, Give Me Context: Knowing what you need and being able to articulate that clearly and efficiently is something I really appreciate.
- Decide Who’s Taking Notes: I am not very good at taking notes while talking so please help me understand who’s going to be in charge of data capture, collection, and distribution.
- Ask Me Questions: I love answering questions. So, ask.
- Give Me Time to Recover: When I have a “moment” I’ll often need time to recover. You can expect me to apologize and I will do my best to provide context and an explanation for my behavior in time.
- I’m Already Paranoid: Being a startup founder makes you paranoid. Consequently, I don’t really like surprises. Thanks.
- Quickly: It’s all about speed of decision making for me. “A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.” – General George S. Patton
- I hate windshield wipers… almost as much as I hate mosquitos.
- I don’t drink anymore; sober since 2016.
- I like wearing the same stuff most days.
- I have two auto-immune disorders which make my breath smell really bad. I’ll do my best not to kill you when we meet IRL.
- I like listening to music on repeat… a lot (and I like it loud).
- I eat gluten-free foods and I’m lactose intolerant.
- I drink coffee twice a day: Morning when I first wake up and then at 2:15pm.
- I love / hate exercise. 4 times a week I walk ~3.0 miles and then M/W/F using a HIIT / Tabata-style using my own bodyweight.
- I love video games but I don’t have time to play them. Sad.
- I love the 80’s and I’m stuck in a retro-wonderland.
- I love the color orange.
A few additional things that you might find interesting:
- I have a twin brother. I’m the oldest of 5. I’m adopted from South Korea.
- I have 3 kids: Roenne (f/14), Arden (f/10), and Oliver (m/3).
- I’ve been married for 15 years to Sue.
- I have 2 advanced degrees: Masters of Biblical Studies and Masters in Christian Education.
- I love sushi and soccer.